Three Brothers Theatre would like to invite playwrights to apply for a two year Plawright Residency. The mission of the Three Brothers Theatre Playwright Residency (TBTPR) and its companion Writer’s Group is to assist playwrights in getting their work production-ready.
While there are numerous residencies, writer’s groups, classes, and educational programs geared toward content, the emphasis of the TBTPR will be on the business and production side of the theatre industry, specifically focused on the surrounding Milwaukee/Chicago area.
- Each season, eight playwrights will be chosen to have their works produced by Three Brothers Theatre at their permanent space in Waukegan, Illinois.
- Each playwright will receive a minimum of one public reading per year in our associated Waukegan Theatre Festival (WTF), including one rehearsal, one director, and one correlating cast.
- Three of the chosen playwrights will go on to have their productions fully produced in the Three Brothers season each year, including a 4-6 week rehearsal process, a 4 week run of Friday and Saturday night performances, a full production team of director, producer, Stage Manager, and necessary design team.
- Production elements will include use of Three Brothers Theatre’s permanent black-box style performance space (seating for 30-50, depending on staging), as well as any necessary minimal set, props, light, and sound as exists in the space.
- Residents will participate in monthly meetings with the companion Writer’s Group, consisting of various members of the theatre community. This group will read, brainstorm, research, workshop, and assist in creating specific strategies for securing productions.
- Residents will also explore production practicalities which will affect future content like cast size, technical elements, theatricality, formatting, industry standards, etc.
- The Writer’s Group will assist each resident in two table reads of their chosen production, one initial reading, and one final reading after any edits have been made. Constructive workshopping of each selected script will be an integral element to these meetings.
- Each resident will enjoy free attendance to all Three Brothers Theatre productions and events.
- With an ensemble of actors, directors, designers, and staff, the residents will become an active part of the Three Brothers Theatre community. It is our hope to provide you with support, inspiration, and networking to nearby Milwaukee/Chicago theaters.
- Please note: Waukegan is outside of Jeff Committee attendance. Any additional critics or reviewers will need to be contacted personally.
- Three Brothers Theatre appreciates and produces all genres of theatre, both known and previously unknown. Scripts of any length and subject matter will be considered. We honor diversity, specifically that of minority voices such as female-identifying writers, queer artists, and playwrights of color.
- Since residents will be asked to commit to monthly meetings, applicants in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin with reliable access to transportation are highly preferred.
- Once chosen, the Writer’s Group will refine their mission and approach to suit each individual resident’s specific needs and goals.
- Have completed at least three plays, or have an equivalent body of theatrical or literary work.
- Willingness and ability to attend monthly meetings at Three Brothers Theatre in Waukegan, Illinois.
- Willingness to support other playwrights in a positive and professional manner.
- Please submit the following materials by June 15th, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN 3BRS Playwright Residency.
- Cover Letter, including why you wish to be chosen for participation in this project.
- Theatrical Resume/CV
- A play which you feel represents your current professional development and/or which you feel is the most production-ready project in your body of work.
- A related synopsis and character breakdown.